Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

Posted by MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost
For those of you who don't read the Mantic Blog (and why not?) here's some up coming miniatures for Kings of War that will be released over the course of 2012

Coming up next month will be the first of the Twilight Kin (you know ever since the release of a certain crappy book series that word makes me flinch). The Twilight Kin are your Dark Elf types in KoW and there are 2 units to be released in February - Spearmen and Crossbowmen - and of course there will be new rules and an army list for them too!

 ^Twilight Kin Spearmen

 ^Twilight Kin Crossbowmen

It's not clear from the blog whether they are going to be all plastic or plastic with metal parts like the Abyssal Dwarfs, but personally I'm hoping they will be all plastic - plastic bodies with metal arms, heads and so on makes for top heavy figures and Mantic bases are quite hard to weigh down (the Abyssal Dwarf minis got away with it because of their hight but it was a problem with the Skeleton Archers). Of course they could take the rout of plastic with plastic-resin parts to keep the weight down

Goblins!

There's also some goblins coming up too! There will be a metal unit of Goblin Spearmen, followed by a plastic unit of Goblin Archers. Yea I don't need any more gobbos in my collection but it's nice to see new ones!

The Undead are getting something new soon as well - described as 'a powerful mini unit' it could be anything ... personally I'd like to see mummies or some kind of monster or construct (and I know Rob would like some armoured vampires on foot)

and Abyssal Dwarfs will be getting plastic-resin 'Half Breeds' which are a cavalry choice - so it looks like they might be Centaur types judging from the current Abyssal Dwarf range

 ^ Bull Centaur type Abyssal Dwarf Lord from the current range

... and other Abyssal Dwarf units will be out around the same time

But what do you think?

10 Comments

General Biakal General Biakal

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

i really do not have an opinion on the fantasy stuff, but I am interested to see the Corporation stuff... more than just the two pics lumberjack posted. if i am seriously going to buy into a decent number of them, i ned to see the options. but looking at these, and other releases, i have to say they are no where near the quality of GW.

i know that is a heretic thing to say here on this forum, but its not warseer so i can (lol) BUT the are only a couple of years BEHIND GW, and they are BY FAR much better value for money. MUCH better.

so it depends if you want wargaming that looks good on a budget, or wargaming that looks ever so slightly better for a whole lot more.

me, just me, i prefer paying a bit more and having the uniformity. uniformity is what drew me to Guard in the first place, and is a core part of what I get from the hobby. but i really, aside frm teasing mort, I have NOTHING negative to say about mantic and like the ethos of "just about the same but cheaper".
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
CatBlack CatBlack

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

I've noticed you missed one, there is a new Twilight Assassin too coming up.  Which looks like it should be great by the way!

BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

First look at the goblin minis:

Have to say I rather like them!
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

ah yes!

the new gobbos look great - when the first Mantic Goblins came out (the Assassin one and the one herding a beast) I wasn't keen on the nose shape - but now seeing a whole unit of Mantic Goblins the thought occurs that I can use them to represent a slightly different breed of goblin (hey look I justified buying more goblins!)

Looks like a good variety of poses and clothing in there too ...

"Do you see how it's done GW?"
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Metropolis Metropolis

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

Metropolis wrote
Gnoblars
Yes but much better sculpts than Gnoblars
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

CatBlack wrote
I've noticed you missed one, there is a new Twilight Assassin too coming up.  Which looks like it should be great by the way!

and here's a picture of the model

 ^ She's wearing a lot more clothes than I thought she would be from the concept art
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
messyart messyart

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

I'm not too fond of this. The head, the hands, the finer details that need to be good, just look half-arsed.
Mankinds first mistake; Questioning why those around him, are dying.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

found another picture ...

messyart wrote
I'm not too fond of this. The head, the hands, the finer details that need to be good, just look half-arsed.
yea, sadly this isn't one of Mantic's better minis - the model just doesn't seem to have quite captured the sleek fast assassin-y skimpiness of the concept art

I'd be more inclined to use these scantily clad female stabby-stabby dark elves from Ral Partha Europe

 ^ Elf Blade Maiden & Elf Blade Maiden Champion
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Alcidas Alcidas

Re: Upcoming 2012 Releases from Mantic!

Quite disappointed with Mantic to be honest. I started collecting their High Elves but that line just has been neglected. The quality of their sculpting is really poor, both the Assassin and Sorceress are really sub-standard, and when I saw that their Dark Elves are just plastic High Elves with replacement parts it was really very disappointing.
Free Miniature Printables for 28mm Scale

http://noquarterbattles.blogspot.com/