... GW have gone ahead and made the ugliest and least flight-worthy machine I've seen since Spell-Jammer.

20 Comments

BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: Ugly Aircraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6utE5APd4wA

Also I love that after nearly 10,000 years of using the same equipment all of a sudden the marines have all these new shinies...
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Ugly Aircraft

There are so many stupid design ideas on this it's a joke. I looks like some Chinese knock-off toy you'd find in a pound shop
The first thing that grabbed my attention was there are little landing feet on the bottom of the lower gun turret and none elsewhere on the … er … thing. So what, the whole thing lands on those 2 little feet? And what happens if you want to aim the guns once you're on the ground? You can't – the guns will stay still and the rest of the machine will turn!
Either side of the foot-gun you've got those odd shaped gun boxes, which look ok as the missile launchers but GW have included las-cannon and Heavy Bolter barrels that stick awkwardly into the same housing.
And then there's the jets, which just look silly and like the designer copied from the Tau vehicles with no thought beyond “Derp, that looks cool, it needs them too”. The body looks like a stunted cartoon helicopter and the whole thing makes the Thunderhawk gun-brick and the Storm Raven look like sleek supersonic jets by comparison.
Utter fail all round.
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: Ugly Aircraft

Oh dear I hadn't even noticed the feet...

Totally agree about the weapons, the heavy bolters and lascannons really should be on something more like the mount for the predator, least of all because then they could actually aim independently of the vehicle's flight...

I rather like the classic Thunderhawk design, it looks like it smashes its way through the atmosphere rather than flying given that its a spacecraft as much as atmospheric. This thing and the stormraven are just too small to really be worth it in space and don't look like they'd be much good in atmosphere. Hell what can this thing do that a landspeeder isn't capable of?
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Ugly Aircraft

This post was updated on .
RobertTheDamned wrote
Hell what can this thing do that a landspeeder isn't capable of?
be a large new expensive must-have kit that GW can sell to idiots
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Billiam Babble Billiam Babble

Re: Ugly Aircraft

It does have a sort chunky charm - much like Quake II.
It reminds me a lot of when they brought out the two man hover thingy and we all said it looked like a trainer (US trans "sneaker" ;) )  When some of us were still happy gluing bits to deodorant sticks.

Somewhere between the industrial hardware of the ground force and the gothic details of the larger ships there has to be a steampunky average I reckon - perhaps these flat surfaces are easier to print in plastic?

I think that's why I used to prefer some of the Chaos stuff, all brass and rivets - but I'm at least three editions behind atm.  They should reverse engineer everything.  Lets' go Crusades!
Billiam Babble Billiam Babble

Re: Ugly Aircraft

MarkRG MarkRG

Re: Ugly Aircraft

It does look like a scunched up piece of kak. The only thing it might be good for is for the bits box to make somethink good out of it.
-- Mark RG (Game on)
Quests-of-legend Quests-of-legend

Re: Ugly Aircraft

It's the "I just crashed into a wall, but I'm going to fly this bugger home machine"

For Space Marines it's shite but.........I think it would suit an Ork army very well, looks like a mish-mash of other vehicles something every Ork loves to do.

I'm getting more and more dissapointed with GW..........First "ShiteCast" then they have some shit sculptor making all the big monsters in fantasy, they've been kack since "Storm of Magic"

We've had the recent Necron - Flying Boat (the Arch thingy), and Spider Machine, no this tosh.........maybe they've got the same sculptor doing these???

Avatars of War - are coming along with good Fantasy minis, and now have there own Warcast Resin.

Otherworld Minis - have fantastic DND classics

BaneLegions - These have some nice monsters but they always seem to be super duper gigantic.

Anyway back on subject "No Likey" so "No lighty"
http://quests-of-legend.weebly.com
Billiam Babble Billiam Babble

Re: Ugly Aircraft

Good point about it suiting an Ork army.  Interesting thinking.
jogar_t_hutt jogar_t_hutt

Re: Ugly Aircraft

sorry but is it just me or that they cant be botherd to come up with any good models anymore
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Ugly Aircraft

jogar_t_hutt wrote
sorry but is it just me or that they cant be botherd to come up with any good models anymore
It's not just you - GW have lost their touch

as of it working better for Orkz?

well ironically the Ork plane coming out at the same time looks ok ...

-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: Ugly Aircraft

hmm now see that's not nearly so bad, still rather too well put together for orks, but at least it sort of looks like the awesome old Epic ork fighta bomma model.
Removed Removed

Re: Ugly Aircraft

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: Ugly Aircraft

I've never seen the addition of aircraft to a 28mm scale game really all that worth it. Most move so fast they're on the board for a turn, massive waste of money/effort for a mini that is pretty much useless to game with. Drop ships and air vehicles akin to helicopters obviously are much more relevant but air support is one of those things that should be 'off board' and abstracted out in my opinion. Sure they can still make nice display pieces though, when they're not plain butt ugly.

Vlad The Impala Vlad The Impala

Re: Ugly Aircraft

If they were going to release plastic versions of the forgeworld models, the marines would have got something decent:

Although to be fair the FW model is probably cheaper, and all you would have to do to make it a WYSIWYG counts-as option would be to add a second ass cannon barrel.
Metropolis Metropolis

Thousand and One Sons Thousand and One Sons

Re: Ugly Aircraft

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: Ugly Aircraft

yeah vehicle sin 40k are shit...

i like the new necron flyer, i like the Ork one LOTS, but the talon is just super stupid. iv seen kitbashes online that have made it look much better, mostly by removing the lower fin and moving the control surfaes off the engines and on to the side of the cock pit. the weapons are then mounted under them.in that style it looks sweet.

i also prefer the tempest, i like it a lot and would get one if i could slip it in with my boys.
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
Marchomer Marchomer

Re: Ugly Aircraft

Uhm...

I'm quite agree with most of you, IMO:
1. The "Necron Croissant" is totally unacceptable;
2. The "Ork Airplane" it's OK;
3. The "Space Marine / Quake II / Leprechaun spaceship" is a good conversion kit. (I think it could be a real good base for a sort of walker... a SM or Ork dreadnought or something like that....

By the way, even supposing that GW prices were reasonable, from a SM player point of view, I'm not sure I will ever field the "SM Smurftalon" in a game... too points for too less armour, It should be the first target of all the opponent's rocket launchers. There are better and more classic choices. (I know the GW fan boy couldn't agree with me)
+ Other planes lie beyond the reach Of normal sense and common roads But they are no less real Than what we see or touch or feel. +

Just saw this on http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/