New 40k Monsters

Posted by MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost
So 40k recently got some monster model's (as part of the Dark Eldar army) which makes a nice change from minor variants on existing troop types (mostly space marines) and extra huge vehicles we've been seeing a lot of in recent years. Finally here's something fresh and different! (Don't worry 40k fan, normal service will be resumed soon enough when the Grey Knights come out and the Imperial guard get another unwieldy-looking flying vehicle)

First up the 'Khymerae'

 ^Khymerae
These guys are a new incarnation of the Warp Beasts you might remember from last time DE got some attention.
again they are skinned animal looking things, but this time round the designer seems to have taken some inspiration from D&D's Displacer Beast:

 ^D&D Displacer Beast
so if your looking for some alternative Warpbeasts, you may want to look for Displacer Beast miniatures (Reaper do a nice one)

 ^Razorwings
ah! Razorwings are back in 40k again, last seen in the Rogue Trader rulebook I thought they had been left out for being a little too silly, but I guess not.

 ^the Razorwing as it appeared in Rouge Trader

 ^Clawed Fiend
and lastly the Clawed Fiend, which first made an appearance in a picture of 'Other Dangerous Aliens' in the 3rd edition 40k rulebook

as you can see it's changed quite a bit since then, but it's worth a note that several other aliens in the picture since then have their own miniatures and/or armies (for the pedantic among you: the Ambul had a miniature in the RT era and the Necrons had their first miniatures late 2nd edition - unless you count the suspiciously Necron-like Chaos Androids) so what race might be next?

14 Comments

BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: New 40k Monsters

I did think these were quite nice actually. They're well sculpted, which is something GW seems to have forgotten how to do most the time, probably helps that they're actually sculpted and not digitally done.

I quite like the Khymerae, don't really have any use for them though. They could make quite interesting Astral Hounds for Inquisitor perhaps.

MortiS-the-Lost wrote
ah! Razorwings are back in 40k again, last seen in the Rogue Trader rulebook I thought they had been left out for being a kittle too silly, but I guess not. (I'll find a picture of RT Razorwing later for you guys)
I'd completely forgotten they were a RT beastie, here's the picture, happened to already have all of that book scanned in already

The accompanying flavour text isn't all that interesting. They're birds....with sharp wings....though they describe them being more like a saw blade than a razor.

EDIT: Oh bugger now we've both posted it!

The Clawed Fiend is a bit of a let down. I think the multi-eye thing doesn't really work in this case, and where the hell are his claws? Could have been an awesome model but I'm not all that convinced by it, it looks like Bigfoot in a Halloween mask.

MortiS-the-Lost wrote
but it's worth a note that several other aliens in the picture since then have their own miniatures and/or armies (the Ambul had a miniature in the RT era and the Necrons had their first miniatures late 2nd edition - unless you count the suspiciously Necron-like Chaos Androids) so what race might be next?
The Kroot obviously originate there too. The Hrud have seen quite a lot of attention in various side games ,they're a big favourite of the Inquisitor community, and I believe they're also mentioned in Dark Heresy (though I might be making that up).
Marchomer Marchomer

Re: New 40k Monsters

Very interesting comparision, IMHO I absolutely prefer the 3rd edition version of the clawed fiend (even if it's only a picture), it feels more genuine and more 'clawed'.
+ Other planes lie beyond the reach Of normal sense and common roads But they are no less real Than what we see or touch or feel. +
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New 40k Monsters

Marchomer wrote
I absolutely prefer the 3rd edition version of the clawed fiend (even if it's only a picture), it feels more genuine and more 'clawed'.
I seem to remember from a while back that someone made a Clawed Fiend based on the picture in the 3rd edition rulebook converted from a Ratogre's body and a bunch of Hormagaunt talons and covered with static-flock for fur

Ironically I thought the new Clawed Fiend's body might make a good starting point for a Ratogre conversion. The new Clawed Fiend just doesn't live up to the old picture and the face just looks stupid
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New 40k Monsters

Also I found this online while I was browsing for pictures of the Clawed Fiend

I guess this is what you get when half your design department leaves to go and work for better regarded companies
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Metropolis Metropolis

Re: New 40k Monsters

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
messyart messyart

Re: New 40k Monsters

I.. Don't know what to say

There's a level of awesome in that model so immense that I am almost speachless...

If only I could get Discworld out of my mind.
Mankinds first mistake; Questioning why those around him, are dying.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New 40k Monsters

Darn! beat me to it!
I saw the new Jokaero in the Grey Knights Codex this morning, looks like GW are bringing back some of the old RT stuff in what I like to think of as a desperate attempt to get back the attention of older gamers who have lost interest in 40k because of the teen-marketed newer editions and price rises - "please like 40k again ... look Rogue Trader creatures!"

Who knows maybe if they get really desperate we'll see some Squats
-----------------------------------
Metropolis Metropolis

Re: New 40k Monsters

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New 40k Monsters

Well we've mentioned Squats, so I suppose I'd better link back to this:

Squats Return!

-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: New 40k Monsters

So the Jokaero return? But now have no qualms working for the Imperium? Was it just me that had the impression that the Jokaero weapons used in the imperium were usually captured rather than made willingly? As it has been said that any Jokaero that is given resources to make something will instead use those materials to escape.

I think its a case of 'quick, Rick's gone, lets rape his ideas!'
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New 40k Monsters

RobertTheDamned wrote
So the Jokaero return? But now have no qualms working for the Imperium? Was it just me that had the impression that the Jokaero weapons used in the imperium were usually captured rather than made willingly? As it has been said that any Jokaero that is given resources to make something will instead use those materials to escape.
From the look of the model I'd say this is a cyberneticly-altered slave Jokaero, seems more appropriate for a Adeptus Mechanicus than Grey Knights, but then again having seen the codex there's a lot of stuff the Grey Knights have that seem to been crammed together into one army list (this is nearly as bad a grab-bag Codex the 'Heros of the Imperium'/Witch Hunters and Inquisitor army lists)

RobertTheDamned wrote
I think its a case of 'quick, Rick's gone, lets rape his ideas!'
 agreed!
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: New 40k Monsters

MortiS-the-Lost wrote
From the look of the model I'd say this is a cyberneticly-altered slave Jokaero
I think its meant to be tech the Jokaero fashioned himself, as its rather higher-tech looking than standard Imperial stuff. He may well be under some other form of control but its still a bit of a silly inclusion in my opinion. I'm actually tempted to pick up this guy to use in a more appropriate way, at least once THW gets them in stock so I can get it for a more reasonable price.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New 40k Monsters

RobertTheDamned wrote
I think its meant to be tech the Jokaero fashioned himself, as its rather higher-tech looking than standard Imperial stuff. He may well be under some other form of control but its still a bit of a silly inclusion in my opinion.
The Codex calls the thing on it's back a 'Fabricator Array', but the other bits I assume are some kind of control harness. True it doesn't look like normal Imperial technology but then again neither dose a lot of things that the Grey Knights have. I mean look at the Dread Knight (which BTW not only has a really stupid name but also makes the Blood Angel's Librarian Dreadnought look like a sensible idea)

Come to think of it ... you know what would make more sense in it's place: A Squat Weapon Smith
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: New 40k Monsters

I agree the Dreadknight is a bit on the special side, should be useful for converters though.

A squat weaponsmith would have been more sensible, its not going to happen though.