Any tips? Post your webshops and pictures of replacements here!

27 Comments

MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

This post was updated on .
First of all - those painted miniatures are not HeroQuest miniatures, they have been re-based but the 'Female Archer' and 'Skeleton Champion' are in fact from the D&D Adventure Board Game (the 'Female Archer' is in fact Lidda the Halfling - the D&D boardgame had no consistency of scale at all) as the Knight, he's from TSR's DragonQuest.

It will take me a little while to compile a whole list of replacement miniatures for those above but yes it will be done!
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Awesome! Thanks :)
I hope to find (most of) them in one shop, to save on shipping costs. I'm gonna try to find some Dutch shops online.
Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Most of the ones I've got in mind are from Ral Partha Europe but you'll have to shop around to find some of the other figures
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Well, I have the D&D board game, so apparently I have (didn't know because the Dutch translations are horrible):
3 Ogres (but I need more), and also 3 Gnolls who I might use as Skaven:

3 Trolls (cool!):

3 Bugbears that might make good Rat Ogres? Or perhaps even paint one white as the armored polar bear thingy.

3 Wraiths, A Lich and A Wight (no idea what to use them for, but perhaps one of them might make a good necromancer?)

Skeleton Champions:

Some Goblins and Carrion Crawlers. And of course the 4 heroes. So Sir Ragnar, the female elven archer and extra skeletons are accounted for
Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Although I'm not a fan of the miniatures from the D&D board game, yea some of them would make for good substitutes (at least until you can get hold of some nicer miniatures)

The Bugbears should work quite well as Polar War Bears, but the Trolls and Ogres don't really look enough like the HQ/Warhammer ones for my liking and Gnolls are far to large to be used as Skaven

Consider using the D&D Goblins as Ice Gremlins

The Wraiths can be used with the Shadow rules I posted Here (there are also Bugbear rules earlier on in that thread)

The Lich and Wights could work as extra zombies or the Wights could be used as Ghouls (see link above again)

Also worth nothing is that the D&D board game had an expansion called Eternal Winter, which contained Winter Wolf miniatures very similar to the Wolves in the HQ Elf Quest pack and an Ice Dragon that you could use to replace the Frozen Horror
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Ral Patha has some really good mini's.
- The Storm Master, Necromancer and High Mage for Wizards of Morcar. One of these could also be used in the Elf quest pack for the mage.
- An orc shaman for WoM.
- Some Wolves for the Elf quest pack.

- A Yeti for the Barbarian Quest Pack:
- Magna Draconum as the Frozen Horror!
- And yes! D&D goblins as ice imps are amazing! Good call Mort!

- Some giant rats for the Sewers quests and such :D
- Also 4 rat-demons, great for unarmed Skaven.

So, what remains is a small army of Ogres, and mercenaries.
Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

These are very good looking Halberdiers and archers, but for the HQ quests, I think you need 3 of each, as there were 12 in the expansion pack (although if you killed any enemy mercenaries you encounter right away, you might only need 2 of each, but I'm not sure). So all in all that would get a bit costly... I hope I can find a pack of mercenaries with halberds, swords, pikes and bows somewhere.

Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

for your Henchmen I suggest the following set from Perry Miniatures

 ^ 'MERCENARIES' European Infantry 1450-1500 (£18 for 40 miniatures!)
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

As for Ogres Ral Partha have a Huge Range of Ogres to choose from

Here's a few I like

 ^02-145 Ogre Commander

 ^02-148a Ogre with Cleaver

 ^02-150b Ogre Champion

-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

I've bought myself some new mini's today: a box of 20 Skaven Clanrats (€26,-) and a box of LotR Rangers of Middle-Earth (2x12 different rangers with pole-arms, swords and bows) (€22,50) which will serve as my mercenaries and men-at arms.
I think I'm going to paint one half of them in royal colours, with reds, whites, golds etc. as the helfull men-at-arms, and the other half in blacks, browns, silver/metal being the evil mercenaries :)

I'm scavinging my D&D set for the female halfling/elven archer, the knight as Sir Ragnar, the bugbears will become armored polar bears, the ogres will be my skaven rat-ogres, and the goblins will become ice-gremlins.

Still looking for some good looking ogres, thinking about the Bull Ogres from warhammer fantasy...
Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Sjeng wrote
Still looking for some good looking ogres, thinking about the Bull Ogres from warhammer fantasy...
for Ogre's I'd recommend the Ral Partha Ogre's I've shown above, I'll look out for some others for you and I ugre you to stay away from buying any brand new Games Workshop kits to save your money

-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

MortiS-the-Lost wrote
for Ogre's I'd recommend the Ral Partha Ogre's I've shown above, I'll look out for some others for you and I ugre you to stay away from buying any brand new Games Workshop kits to save your money
Yes, those Bull Ogres look cool, but are extremely expensive, at €30,- for a mere 6 Ogres... But I'm not sure I like the Ral Partha ones... Ogres should be less "dressed" imo. The thing is that the HQ ones look great, and the Warhammer ones look awesome to me, but both are either impossible to find or very expensive.
But for now I've got plenty of mini's to paint, so it'll be a while before I finish them all, and get to play with em. I'm not in a hurry ;)
Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
uncle phil uncle phil

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

I only saw the HQ ogres the other day (and am now pining for some!). The main problem I see for non HQ GW ogre sculpts, rat ogres, minotaurs and several other creatures is that they are sculpted with the intention they should fit a 40mm base, so for many of them their stance will be too wide to fit on a smaller base, and even a homemade base may occupy more than one square of a HQ board. That may be a problem or something you can walk around.

For basic character classes many ranges have models. Reaper figures are actually a lot better than they look in their horrendously photographed catalogue and website. The figures I used for Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser would make a good thief/ranger and barbarian. Heresy are also worth a look. Boris the barbarian comes in several forms -a bit OTT but fun! There are also various other hero type figures. Heresy also do a very fine range of ghouls which you should look at for you carrion eaters. They've taken Steve Buddle's Spyglass sculpts, so look for some fine female figures and monks.
http://www.heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=55ce4388065af85135a971801e638b73
Also look into second hand GW figures from stockist like http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/ (tell him I sent you if you want) -he also stocks Ral Partha etc
Mirition (italy) do some nice mummies!
uncle phil uncle phil

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Forgot to add

Hasslefree do a trio of nice Gnolls
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/range.php?range_id=28

here is their Gnoll Cleric painted as a Beastman army magic user..

uncle phil uncle phil

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

I might also add that several former GW customers seem quite taken with the Avatars of War and Maniac games figures coming out. A sprue of 3 zombie bodies and legs comes with six alternate heads and cost £2.80, for example

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Gencon-Show-Specials/Sprues/Product/Undead-Zombie-Sprue-3-Figures.html

or 60 for £30!
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

So I've bought these 24 LotR rangers, which I want to use as mercenaries / men-at-arms.
I have 8 with swords, 8 with a polearm, and 8 with bows.

Now I've kinda divided them into 4 groups of 6, because I'm going to try and convert 6 of them into scouts. I might even give every class a different colour, so I can recognize them easier.

So in all, I've got 6 "halberdiers" (pikemen); 6 "crossbowmen" (archers); 6 "swordsmen"; and 6 "scouts".

As there are some quests that have mercenaries as enemies though, I'm thinking of painting some of each group in darker / evil colours. But as I've never played a quest yet that has mercenaries, nor hired any, I'd like your input on how many you usually might need as friendlies and how many as enemies. I might simply divide them in half (3 of each type), but perhaps it is wiser to have 4 of each type as a friendly, and 2 of each as an enemy?

How many friendlies/enemies have you guys encountered at the same time in one game?
Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
Sjeng Sjeng

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

My secondhand Ogre Kingdoms Battalion box has arrived! wheeeee! 14 Ogres and lots of little gnoblars. Lots of stuff still on sprues, so I can modify some Ogres.
2 Standard Bearers, which I still have to think of a use for. I might invent a special Ogre class, like Shamans or something.
2 bellowers and 3 Bulls, which will be my Ogre Warriors
1 Ogre modified with a greenstuff cape, who will be my Ogre Lord
4 Ironguts, who will be my Champions (or extra warriors if needed)
2 Butchers, who will be my Ogre Chieftains.

They look so cool. Cant't wait to paint 'em.
Eager HeroQuest newbie since july 2011 :D
Check my Custom EU format card sets!
Ye Olde Inn | HeroQuest blog with lots of usefull stuff
dock dock

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

Hallo Sjeng,

Ik speel al 24 jaar HeroQuest (een soort veteraan dus) en ik vul mijn monsters en helden aan met figuren die zo goed mogelijk passen zonder dat ze noodzakelijkerwijs erg op de HQ figuren hoeven te lijken. Ik heb een hele serie figuren van Rackham in gebruik (gekocht via ebay en LudikBazar)
Ik woon zelf in Zwolle en als je een keer wil spelen of kijken is dat wel te regelen.

Groeten,
Dock
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

For those who can't read Dutch the above post says something along the lines of ...

I've played HeroQuest for 24 years (therefore a veteran type) and I add to my monsters and heroes with extra characters. I have a complete set of characters from Rackham that I use (bought from of ebay and LudikBazar)
I myself live in Zwolle and if you want play some time or just look, organise a meeting.
(there's also somthing about a farm-house in there which I don't understand)
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
dock dock

Re: HeroQuest replacement miniatures

That is quite nicely translated Mortis. I will stick to english from now on. My series of Rackham miniatures is far from complete (I wish) but I have purchased via ebay and Ludik the miniatures I use in HeroQuest. I don't recognise your reference of the farm-house (?) but the rest covers the message. ;-)
12