Dalek Miniatures

Posted by MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

In this Thread I shall be doing a round-up of Dalek Miniatures, concentrating mainly on 28mm scale ones as part of a follow up to my Daleks for Space Crusade post, but also a  genral guide to the various Dalek Miniatures I've come across - so should be of interest to anyone looking for Daleks to in miniature based games

First up is Citadel/Games Workshop - yes a long time ago Citadel made Daleks as part of their early plastic ranges

 ^ 2 Citadel Plastic Daleks on display in the Warhammer World Museum in Nottingham

The Citadel Daleks each came 2 to a sprue in 5 parts (including a choice of 2 midsection with 'plunger' or 'claw' arm) with 2 Cybermen. They are approximately 25mm scale which makes them a rather small by today's standards and of course like all good Citadel products they are long since out of production.

Still very much in production however are the Harlequin Miniatures Daleks

Currently being produced by Black Tree Design and much nicer than the pictures on the site would suggest, these Daleks come in several varieties including the Dalek Emperor, the infamous 'Special Weapon Dalek' and they even do a Davros miniature too boot! making them most extensive range of Dalek  miniatures by far. The BlackTree Daleks are 28mm scale and much larger than the old Citadel ones but still look a little small next to some miniatures - price wise they sit at around the £3.25 mark making them a little expensive but not over-priced.

The weekly children's 'Doctor Who Adventures' magazine (Not to be confused with Doctor Who Magazine) has at various times given away free 'Dalek Army' models.

Unfortunately they are the 2010 new-style 'iDaleks' and not the classic Daleks or even the Christopher Eccleston - David Tennant era Daleks. They are 28/30mm scale(ish) but do stand a little taller than most 28mm miniatures even without a base added.
However it's not just Daleks you can get free with Doctor Who Adventures - the magazine has also given away many other monsters in the past including Cybermen, Sontarans, Weeping Angels, Silurians and Ood. The pack that came with 262 has all the monsters released so far, plus a Hand Bot and Alien-Minotaur which I hadn't seen before.
Now these models (mainly the Daleks) are quite sought after and the packs go for surprising amounts on eBay from time to time, but the magazine is only £2.99 and the models are a recurring freebie so my advice is to keep an eye out for the magazine in your local newsagents and check to see what this week freebie is (it's out every Tuesday).
It's worth mentioning that although the Daleks are made in a nice solid plastic, the other models are made from a soft rubbery plastic, which means they don't take to painting too well.

You can read more about my experiences with the Doctor Who Adventures Daleks Here

More Dalek Miniatures to come later

13 Comments

MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Dalek Miniatures

This post was updated on .
We continue with a picture I've stolen from Board Game Geek which compares the sizes of the various Daleks I've mentioned so far – and 1 other

 ^ that additional Dalek model is the subject of the next paragraph or so.

The additional miniature in question is from the 'Doctor Who Micro-Universe' Collectable Miniatures Game (or CMG if all those long words are too much for you). I've seen these Daleks turn up from time to time on eBay, but I don't have any myself at the moment.
But what I've seen of these Daleks look pretty good – as a I mentioned before the Black Tree Daleks are a little too small and the Adventures magazine Daleks are a too big (even for the larger iDaleks they represent) but as luck would have it the Micro-Universe Daleks are smaller than the  Adventures magazine ones and taller than the Black Tree ones, Perfect!

 ^ Like the Adventures magazine 'miniatures' the Micro-Universe range has other Dr Who monsters (and characters) beside Daleks, but I'm just discussing Dalek miniatures here for now. It is worth noting that a few of the sites I've read about the Micro-Universe range on claim the figures are 35mm scale

of course there are many more Dalek miniatures out there, and I'll be posting about more of them soon
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
messyart messyart

Re: Dalek Miniatures

You forgot to mention of course, that Citadel Daleks look like moping dogs.

Cannot be unseen.
Mankinds first mistake; Questioning why those around him, are dying.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Dalek Miniatures

Discovered this on the Shapways 3D printing site today

http://www.shapeways.com/model/247325/28mm-dalek-trooper-sprue.html

I don't have much experience with 3D printing, but I understand that it may not be possible to guarantee the scale is correct or the quality of the final product. Also the fact the dome and other 'curved' surfaces are not smooth curves but in fact made of multiple flat polygons (due to the way it was generated) gives me some concern.

It has also come to my attention that quite a while ago (I think we're talking years) Dr Who Adventures once induced several Christopher Eccleston/David Tennant era Daleks

They look to be cast in 1 piece in a rubbery material and the details look to be a bit 'blobby' and 'smoothed'. Several pictures I've seen of them show an odd segmentation effect on the head (no doubt some effect on the design due to the molding or casting process).
Unlike with the iDalek models, I'm not sure if we're going to see these older style Daleks included with DWA magazine again. But then again, there are rumors of an up coming Dr Who episode which will see a return the older style Daleks from several eras, so maybe the free toys with the magazine will follow suit and provide us with a plethora of different style Daleks from Dr Who history
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: Dalek Miniatures

i can imagine for even non Dr Who based games, the creepy as fucking fuck statues would be handy in a dungeon enviroment... and daleks are, well, fucking invincible death ray-toting robot bastards... i would enjoy a running battle in Zone Mortalis with some BA terminators Vs a few Daleks...

"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
Quests-of-legend Quests-of-legend

Re: Dalek Miniatures

Having a brother in law who has done a lot of 3D printing in the past, and me painting the results.

Curves weren't that bad you could hardly notice any lack of curve if notice at all. They may not be that bad.
http://quests-of-legend.weebly.com
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Dalek Miniatures

General Biakal wrote
i can imagine for even non Dr Who based games, the creepy as fucking fuck statues would be handy in a dungeon enviroment...
yep I got the DWA magazine with the Weeping Angles pack for that exact reason, I've only got 1 painted up at the moment due to the fact the annoying rubbery-ness of the models makes them a pain to paint, but I shall be doing more in future ...

General Biakal wrote
daleks are, well, fucking invincible death ray-toting robot bastards... i would enjoy a running battle in Zone Mortalis with some BA terminators Vs a few Daleks...
Thanks to the Space Crusade Dalek Rules I put together recently, last week we had a battle with a force of Angry Marines and Ultra Marines fighting a Space Hulk full of Daleks and their Ork and Grot slaves (plus a few Androids thrown in for good measure!)
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Removed Removed

Re: Dalek Miniatures

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Dalek Miniatures

You can see find pictures of my painted DWA Dalek Here

-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Dalek Miniatures

Another update for this thread ...

Thanks to a tip-off from General Biakal I discovered last week's issue of Doctor Who Adventures (#300) had free Daleks with it again ...

I'm aware that some of you may be a little annoyed at not being told this last when you could have rushed out and bought a copy or 5 - but don't blame me, blame Biakal for texting me this information at the time rather than posting it on the forum - and yes I could of posted it myself, but didn't have easy access to the internet at the time ...

Anyway - it's about time I talked the models themselves. I predicted further up the thread (scroll up and look) following the episode 'Asylum of the Daleks' the magazine has provided us with a plethora of different style Daleks from Dr Who history - yes that's right, as well as the 'iDaleks' I've picked up from previous issues this issue also included a bunch of proper Daleks!

 ^ There are in fact 2 minor variants of these, what I'm sure are intended to be the classic Daleks from the original series and ones with larger lights on the head which I assume represent the Eccleston/Tennant era Daleks, but could also be painted up to look like the Daleks from the 60's Dalek movies

The details on these are fair, but not brilliant - the slats (or virtual lack of them) are rather disappointing, but the rest of model is pretty good. These Daleks appear to completely different models from the Eccleston/Tennant era Daleks given away with the magazine in the past which I have mentioned previously in this thread.

 ^ As you can see, sadly these new Dalek models are the same height as the iDalek models and thus completely out of scale for 28/30mm - but might work well with larger scale miniatures (perhaps 35mm or 40mm)
-----------------------------------
Removed Removed

Re: Dalek Miniatures

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
messyart messyart

Re: Dalek Miniatures

The quality of these ones is a bit fucking terrible, though.
Mort kindly got me a pack, and two or three had snapped bits here and there. D:

But they sit on my desk, now, looking like brand-new grannies in a retirement home.
Hustling and bustling to work out where the loo is..
Mankinds first mistake; Questioning why those around him, are dying.
beastmaster beastmaster

Re: Dalek Miniatures

I have the Tom Baker and Davros collectors tin, they were bought as a present and rarely come out of the tin
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: Dalek Miniatures

beastmaster wrote
I have the Tom Baker and Davros collectors tin, they were bought as a present and rarely come out of the tin
Miniatures?