iv had it with these exploitative assholes.

18 Comments

MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

Agreed, the prices are truly pretendus this year, I think it's time we all cast our net a little wider and found an alternative (and more reasonably priced) source of miniatures for our games
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

thats fine as long as we dont mind being banned from any GW store. i goto lenton and have a ruck at space marine world every now and then.
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

You'd be surprised how much attention GW staff don't pay, Me and Rob have played Mordheim in GW Bath a few times using warbands mostly consisting of Ral Partha and Heresy miniatures and staff didn't even notice, one time one of them even picked up a Harbinger miniature I had sitting in a case and said, “nice conversion”, “yea, I'm rather pleased with that one” I replied (I wasn't lying either it was converted ). Another member of staff at GW Bath recently told me he wasn't too bothered if people played using non-citadel miniatures as long as they where OOP

and as I've mentioned before, what with you being an Imperial Guard you've got it easy finding alternative miniatures as most sci-fi human troops will blend in seamlessly with existing IG armies

Another interesting point I'd like to bring up is the gray areas created by games that GW no longer publish but have been taken up by other companies, for instance: could me and George walk in a GW store and play the Judge Dredd Roleplay game? The book was published by GW in the late 80's to early 90's – most of George's Judge Dredd miniatures are Citadel Miniatures, however most of my Judge Dredd mini's are by Mongoose Publishing (also Foundry also make a range of 2000 AD miniatures).
Can we still play Talisman in a GW store now it's published by Fantasy Flight?
What about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Dark Heresy for that matter?
Can we use a model of Thrud in games of Warhammer or Blood Bowl?
Can GW's Traveler miniatures still be used to play 40k like in the days of RT?
What about Eternal Champion? (GW and Chaosium joint published the game and Citadel made the miniatures)
And also what about using citadel miniatures for other games?
Would it be ok to play MERP in a GW store if I was using Citadel's LotR miniatures?
What about using Citadel's early stuff to play D&D 1st edition? (after all GW wouldn't have gotten so big in the first place if they hadn't started importing D&D into Britain in the late 70's)
Can I use my miniatures from Citadel's licensed AD&D range in a GW store?
And finally scratch built miniatures and ones we've sculpted ourselves?

I'd be interested see the reactions of different GW staff to these questions

the way I look at it, this is OUR hobby – not GW's hobby, they just happen to have monopolized a large corner of it
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

wow- thats one of the most clever and articulate posts iv ever read on ANY forum. you make me feel like an ork!

it would be interesting to provoke them, espesh as most of the pressure sales people who work in GW stores are about 12. iv a feeling space hulk would blow their minds. battlecars or judge dredd/rogue trooper RPG would be a pretty big step into the dark ages.

the problem is i quite LIKE GW models!
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

General Biakal wrote
wow- thats one of the most clever and articulate posts iv ever read on ANY forum. you make me feel like an ork!
lol “Permission to look smug sir” as Arnold J Rimmer would say

General Biakal wrote
the problem is i quite LIKE GW models!
Don't get me wrong I love Citadel Miniatures and the GW universes, it's just recent price hikes and the considerable drop in quality over the last 5 years or so have really dampened my enthusiasm for GW products. This coupled with the current trend of marketing toward 12 year olds has left me with the feeling that GW really don't care about the older gamers like us who have supported them for so long.

Recently we've seen smaller companies like Heresy and Otherworld Miniatures prove that they can make miniatures which are just as good if not better than GW. Older companies like Iron Winds (Ral Partha) are still producing miniatures that look and feel like the Citadel C series miniatures I love so much. While many of GW's great sculptors like Kev Adams, Chris FitzPatrick and the Perry Twins are doing their own miniatures now away from the corporate marketing machine that GW has become. Not to mention people like Reaper Miniatures, Privateer Press and others who are just doing their own thing.
Other companies like Scotia Grendel, EM4 Miniatures and Black Tree Design are re-releasing miniatures originally made by other companies long through to have disappeared in previous years.

There's a whole world of hobby games out there which GW is only a small part of and I'd like to think that's one thing people will take home when they come to The Lost and the Damned
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
MarkRG MarkRG

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

I admit i do like gw stuff but there prises are a killer.

On 2nd 3rd eitionsi had most of the codexs, just to see what my enemys could throw at me and stop the beardy space wolfs players at that time screwing me over with stupid rules that some sad sod will always try like a scout sqd having a vet sgt in terminator armour.

But as the prices have now gone to greedy frakking twats, il take your money for old pics books.

I only get the codexs for my current armies. The problem is I have most of them as im an old git.

What I would like to see is some of these companys ganging up to threaten G-W so they lower their prices.

Game on.
-- Mark RG (Game on)
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

MarkRG wrote
What I would like to see is some of these companys ganging up to threaten G-W so they lower their prices.
it's not up to the companies to change the industry by forming some kind of anti-GW alliance, it's up to us gamers to look for alternatives to GW and support them by buying and using their products
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
MarkRG MarkRG

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

If they made models easier to see and get i,e in the shops then people will buy them, if they cannot see them then no,one will buy them, otherwise it will only be the vet model makers/ gamers that will by them.

Game on.
-- Mark RG (Game on)
MarkRG MarkRG

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

With morts links iv looked though and bought some of the models, most of them are cheeper, i think this sniper looks pritty cool.

It could fit in most imp Guard armies

Game on.
-- Mark RG (Game on)
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

that looks like a cool mini.

i do enjoy this love/hate thing we all have with GW. i love how we get mad at the sales drones who dive on you and try to hard sell you a £60 toy tankthe second you enter the store.

most small independent clubs like the one i goto in derby are pretty relaxed about downloaded codexs and proxy models (i fought a dice tin pretending to be a hammerhead the other week)

so maybe i shouldnt be so precious about GW models. but i have one mitigating factor:

i chose an imperial guard army cos i have a hidden level of autism that likes everything exactly the same.

if i mix GW models with non IG models then they wont be the same, will they? so therefore i might have to got nuts and smash it all up.

im sure you understand.
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
precinctomega precinctomega

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

"man im chucking the lot in a skip and sending GW the bill."

Can you tell me where you skip is?  Or just send the lot to me.

I don't give a crap about the prices.  I almost never buy direct from GW and get most of my stuff in trades, second hand or in return for services rendered (I paint your mini, you pay me in more minis).  And what I do buy is paid for out of the profits of my eBay activities.

R.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

A dice tin standing in as a hammerhead? I'm all in favor of alternative miniatures but I'd say that pushing it when the proxy isn't even a miniature.

I my self am the complete opposite, I collect on a miniature by miniature basis and like each one to be unique in some way.
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

when i was a child i usedto re create the may day parade in moscow with my MASK toys. im either a ruthless dictator or a complete loony. or both.

and im still getting the com squad and the valk. i moan but i still buy it. thats where they win eh?
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
precinctomega precinctomega

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

I did the same thing with Action Force.

R.
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

man action force rocked. i even liked it when it turned into GI joe. (BTW are we talking about the old skool action force with no elbow or knee joints? Baron Ironblood etc? where Z force (SAS) and aquaforce and space force fought the baddies who all wore red? or was it later AF which was basicly GI JOE?

back on topic... i bought a basilisk this weekend- i was very bored- and i noticed you dont get the other vhimera bitz- i thought you did as my plan was to customise it to be both. are GW being robdogs again or is it my high expectations?
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
MarkRG MarkRG

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

Hi mate i collected themtoo and still have them, i will sell them off in a few years when the prices pick up.

the Answer to the baddies in red was called the Red shdows from Shadow force with Baron Ironblood, The black Major and those Mutons.

Game on.
-- Mark RG (Game on)
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

I don't think the box has ever contained the parts for both tanks. Although the Basilisk and Chimera share the same lower-hull and tracks they swap out the upper hull sprue for the sprue with the artillery platform bit. (my 40k ork army includes a looted Basilisk and Hell Hound)
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
Umboman Umboman

Re: you utter utter utter robdog f**kers. stick your sodding hobby GW!

I fully sympathise I have spent over ten thousand on models over the years & came to the conclusion that the suppliers see us ATM machines.Luckily I got £5400 back by selling most of my Dr Who models on ebay & donated the full size K9 to Hearing Dogs for The Deaf.Yes,I was obsessed & it did not make me happy.I enjoy making them,not having them.It does seem obscene for me to pay a lot of money for nonessentials while others have no food,water or shelter............so I try to find a balance.I have stopped buying kits for the moment,until I finish the ones I have.As you wisely say we can choose not to get ripped off;I have a feeling prices may come down as the recession/cuts kicks in?I am certainly not going into debt again over fantasy figures,etc.
The Prodigal son