Tarantula Rules

Ze German
Hello everyone!

Finally I got my hands on the dreadnaught expansion.  Unfortunately, without even having it played once some questions arose that I'd like to post here...
How do other players handle this:

If the tarantula's gunner gets killed, other space marines can take over. Simple.
Question 1: if a space marine carrying a (super)heavy weapon does so, and later leaves the tarantula again:
Does he get his original weapon back or only the bolter...?

Question 2: could the commander also take over the tarantula?

Question 3: can space marines from a different chapter (colour) take over a tarantula?

Question 4: is says the alien player cannot use the tarantula. Does everyone play it like that? What about if chaos marines could do so...?

Re: Tarantula Rules

Ze German
And other one, Question 5...

 If the odd rules of how the tarantula turns ("pivotting around its middle square") were strictly applied, it couldn't turn anymore once it stands next to a wall...
So I imagine everyone just moves the gunner for 6 squares (not diagonally though) and eventually points the tarantula into whatever direction.

Are there alternatives to this...?
Do you allow turning the tarantula for 180 degree in a corridor that's only 2 squares wide (or do you consider it being too narrow)...?
Do you allow other marine figures to walk "through" the tarantula...?

Re: Tarantula Rules

Gold Bearer
Ze German wrote
Hello everyone!

Finally I got my hands on the dreadnaught expansion.
Congrats, it's awesome! :)

Ze German wrote
Unfortunately, without even having it played once some questions arose that I'd like to post here...
How do other players handle this:

If the tarantula's gunner gets killed, other space marines can take over. Simple.
Question 1: if a space marine carrying a (super)heavy weapon does so, and later leaves the tarantula again:
Does he get his original weapon back or only the bolter...?
I think it's supposed to be just the bolter. You could rule that they keep their weapon but their movement doesn't increase when they're using the tarantula. You could also give them the choice of dropping their weapon and using the bolter if they leave the tarantula to increase their movement while their using it. The second option creates a loophole though, the BAs could swap their heavy weapon round with the tarantula gunner to get an extra bolter so you could rule that the gunner who starts on the tarantula can't leave it or simply allow the squads to not have any standard heavy weapons.

Ze German wrote
Question 2: could the commander also take over the tarantula?
No, I'm almost positive it specifically says he can't, also I don;t think it would fit the mini properly.

Ze German wrote
Question 3: can space marines from a different chapter (colour) take over a tarantula?
I don't think so, although it would be funny. :) Oi, give that back! Chaos marines being able to use it would work well too.

Ze German wrote
Question 4: is says the alien player cannot use the tarantula. Does everyone play it like that? What about if chaos marines could do so...?
Oh, you already thought of it. No I don't think they officially can but they definitely should be able to.

Ze German wrote
And other one, Question 5...

 If the odd rules of how the tarantula turns ("pivotting around its middle square") were strictly applied, it couldn't turn anymore once it stands next to a wall...
So I imagine everyone just moves the gunner for 6 squares (not diagonally though) and eventually points the tarantula into whatever direction.

Are there alternatives to this...?
Do you allow turning the tarantula for 180 degree in a corridor that's only 2 squares wide (or do you consider it being too narrow)...?
Do you allow other marine figures to walk "through" the tarantula...?
We did it so you needed the space to be able to turn it and nobody could move through it. You never get stuck that way because you don't have to move in the direction you're facing. We also ruled it costs one movement to turn 90 degrees but you can turn and shoot because it's not actual movement.

Re: Tarantula Rules

Ze German
Thanks for your replies!
Don't get the last one, though... How do you play it exactly?
Pivoting & the rule book's example mean you can't when standing alongside a wall.
Nor when being in a corridor that's only two squares wide (which means standing along a wall, thinking about it...).

Re: Tarantula Rules

Gold Bearer
Yea you need space to be able to turn it but it doesn't ever get stuck because you don't have to move it forwards, you can go in any direction, except diagonally. When you're turning a corner in a corridor the corner gives you the space to pivot, you need to be in the inside lane.

Re: Tarantula Rules

Ze German
Ha, now I got it! You can't get stuck because you can pull the Tarantula backwards (or sideways, just not diagonally).

This does mean you cannot turn it around in a corridor that is 2 spaces wide!
Suits me...
Means you might have to pick whether you're covering the back (and move through the corridor backwards) or be at the front (and be "open" on your back as ther's no turning).

Thanks!