Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

MortiS-the-Lost
Administrator
This is the first draft of my rules for using Squats in Space Crusade they need a bit more work but are ready for play testing. The weapon options are based on the Squat miniatures that used to be available in the early 90s. I hope you enjoy play testing these rules if you get a chance, they are going to need at least 2 more equipment cards so any feed-back thoughts or ideas on that or the rest of the rules are welcomed.

Team Size: a Squat Throng consists of 1 Squat Commander, 3 Squat Warriors and 1 Squat with Heavy Weapon
Movement: All Squats including ones with heavy weapons move 5 Squares
Armour: All Squats have an Armour Value of 2

Squat Commander

Bolter and Power Fist
Shooting: 2 White Dice
Close Combat: 2 Red Dice

Power Fist and Power Axe:
Close Combat: 3 White Dice, 2 Red Dice

Chainsword and Las Pistol:
Shooting: 1 White Dice, 1 Red Dice
Close Combat: 1 White Dice, 1 Red Dice

Squat Warriors

Close Combat: 2 White Dice

Bolter or Autogun: 2 White Dice

Lasgun: 1 White Dice (2 Shots Stacking)

Heavy Weapon Squat

Close Combat: 2 White Dice

Heavy Bolter: 2 Red Dice

Conversion Beamer: 2 Red Dice (Line of effect roll for each target) at first failure to damage then: 3 Red Dice (9 Square template roll once for all targets)

Lascannon: 1 Red Dice (3 Shots Stacking)

Multimelta: 3 Red Dice (Line of effect roll for each target)

Heavy Plasma Gun: 2 Red Dice 2 White Dice (Line of effect roll once for all targets)

Equipment

Exo-Armour:
Your Commander has a suit of Exo-Armour increasing his Armour Value to 3

Targeter:
(As per normal)

Axes:
All your Warriors are armed with Axes which allow them to roll 1 extra White Dice in Close Combat

Extra Ammo:
Use this Equipment Card to cancel out the effect of the Out of Ammo event. Discard after use.

Bionic Eye:
(As per normal Imperial Fists Equipment)

Orders

Fire!
(As per normal)

Heavy Weapon!
(As per normal Imperial Fists Order)

Take Aim!
Allows each Warrior and Heavy Weapon Squat who Shoots this turn to re-roll 1 Dice

Close Assault!
(As per normal)

Running Maintenance:
Use this Order Card to cancel-out the effect of the Equipment Malfunction or Weapon Jammed events.
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~

Re: Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

Apocalypsedreamer
Nice rules Mort, shall enjoy playing those next time Space crusade is on the list.

A.D
You think your lag is bad! It took 3 days for Jesus to re-spawn!

http://tomechaotica.blogspot.com/

http://smalllasers.blogspot.com/

Re: Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

spacial_awareness
Where's the second draft? This is awesome!

Re: Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

MortiS-the-Lost
Administrator
spacial_awareness wrote
Where's the second draft? This is awesome!
This first draft eventually evolved into The Forge Father Rules - you can find the refined play-test version Right Here

Please note play testing was never quite completed on these rules due to the FLGS we used to play at closing down and killing our little Space Crusade group.

The good news is that the rules were pretty balanced already by that stage and the only thing that needs a little tweak is the Armour Piercing Rounds which need to be nerf'd a little.

Suggested fixes are:
- Only allowing 1 Hail Storm Rifle to be Equipped with Armour Piercing Rounds
or
- Have Hail Storm Rifles with Armour Piercing Rounds only roll 1 Red Dice and 1 White Dice when shooting at a target with an Armour value of 3 or higher  (against targets with an Armour Value of 2 or lower they would still roll 2 White Dice)
or
there may be another solution, we never got round to getting these properly tested - but that doesn't mean you won't so enjoy playing and let me know how it goes
-----------------------------------

HERESY!!!
Sorry, I'm not feeling it for the Forge Fathers, if I hold out for the Squats would you go back to it?

Re: Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

MortiS-the-Lost
Administrator
We went with Forge Fathers in the end because they are miniatures that are actually available - where as citadel have neglected Squats for well over 20 years now. Thus Forge Fathers are the miniatures people are more likely to own.

Of course if you are lucky enough to own Squats there's nothing to stop you using them with these rules

Personally I have good number of both, they are all Space Dwarfs after all - and other brands of Space Dwarfs are available too; check out the Grymns by Hasslefree Miniatures or Black Tree Design's Space Dwaves
-----------------------------------

The Squats rules just need a tiny little bit more work, please finish them off. Two more equipment cards are all it would take.

Re: Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

MortiS-the-Lost
Administrator
I did finish them off - they became the Forge Fathers rules
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~

Re: Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

spacial_awareness
I can't get my head round Forge Fathers, I like 40k Squats. I would try to write the extra Squat stuff myself but they were before my time and were being phased out just I was getting into it so I don't know all the fluff, although I do prefer to think of them as Space Dwarfs rather than the low gravity origin story.

   Mortis can you just confirm/clarify that the las-pistol is 1 white + 1 red (does it have a 12 square range like other pistols in Space Crusade)? Also the lasgun is 1 white and the lascannon is 1 red? Does stacking mean you can fire two/three shots with one dice or one shot with two or three dice?

Re: Squats in Space Crusade (First Draft)

Gold Bearer
Yours is quite similar to mine. The las gun is exactly the same and I've got an axes for the standard troops equipment card as well. I haven't got any heavy weapons because I didn't know if they could have them. I might add them for the Mission Dreadnought rules.

I like the idea of the Running Maintenance card but in games with more than one squad it will practically make them immune because the alien play won;t play it on them, not that it's a problem.