Hate the new river trolls too, but the fact they included one vomiting at least makes the set a little interesting. Just don't like the sculpting style.

8 Comments

General Biakal General Biakal

Re: New Orcs

i agree. the orcs on the boars are so far so normal but the boars and the trolls seem like the minotaurs... more like a manga caracature of a real animal. im not liking the way WHFB models seem to be heading...
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New Orcs

Yea the Orcs riders are just another minor re-sculpt of the same Orcs GW having been re-sculpting as different Orc and Ork troop types since circa 2000 (the 3rd edition 40k plastic Ork Boyz being the first).

The boars are just awful, far too cartoon-y the snouts look far too long and the bodies are yet another example of the Citadel Plastic's feather-fur

now the Trolls, there are things I quite like about them (the optional vomit spray, the river weeds) but over all the style is far too angular and lacks detail in places. Other design decisions I just don't like: the head on the 3rd troll, the fish-fins on the backs and the unconvincing anatomy (especially on the upper torsos)

Over all I think Citadel are in the process of loosing their style, the boars look like something from Dragon Rune Miniatures (or maybe a Disney-Pixar film) and the Trolls remind me far too much of Rackham's now OOP Confrontation and Hybrid ranges.
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: New Orcs

seriously, how much fucking better does this look?
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New Orcs

Avatars Of War is great range of miniatures, it's just a shame that their high prices stop them from being a viable alternative to Citadel Miniatures.
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~
BobbieTheDamned BobbieTheDamned

Re: New Orcs

To true. They're beautifully sculpted and fit in with the better metal citadel stuff but way out of my spending league for a single miniature.
General Biakal General Biakal

Re: New Orcs

i went to geekworld in lenton and had a walk round the miniatures hall...

the river trolls close up look really REALLY shoddy- they do not give the impression of bulk or weight.
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch
meangreenstompa meangreenstompa

Re: New Orcs

Fantasy range is moving towards the WoW aesthetic to bring in moar kiddiez!!!

I like the orcs, the trolls are quite respectful to the previous sculpts, but the boars faces are fucking terrible.
MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost

Re: New Orcs

meangreenstompa wrote
Fantasy range is moving towards the WoW aesthetic to bring in moar kiddiez!!!
yea, it's ironic considering how much Blizzard ripped ideas from GW when they first created the WarCraft games back in the 90's

meangreenstompa wrote
... the trolls are quite respectful to the previous sculpts ...
I'd say that, although they have some elements of the classic 90's River Trolls IHMO they lack the fine details of the metal miniatures and don't have the classic Citadel style and feel of the originals, they look plastic and toy-ish