Minotaurs and Beastmen

Posted by MortiS-the-Lost MortiS-the-Lost
As it says on their Google entry “Games Workshop make the best model soldiers in the world”. This may have been true in the past, but the standard of Citadel Miniatures has dropped considerably over the last 5 years or so. Here’s the new Plastic Minotaurs, which I think we can safely say are even worse than the plastic Ent we saw this time last year.

 ^ worst Citadel Miniatures yet? Maybe.

The clumps of fur look more like leaves, seems to have been added as an after thought and no attempt has been made to blend the texture of it into the skin around it, the fur just starts and stops. The muscle structure (especially on the legs) is misshapen, random and follows no logic or understanding of anatomy. Finally the poses (which are fixed by the way the minis are put together) are awful. Also note the crappy looking spikes and fur clumps on their backs, which don’t blend at all with the rest of the model and are probably the only way to get any variety out of the miniatures.

Please note: GW staff members will probably tell you that minotaurs are creatures of chaos and their anatomy is supposed to be this badly sculpted.

I need not mention the price here, but rest assured these aren’t worth the plastic they are made from

Also worth nothing from the new Beastman range, are the Gor and Ungore herds at £15 each, which are pretty much exactly the same the old ones, but have been re-moulded as separate sprues and re-packaged separately. The old regiment box which -contained the equivalent of the combined contents of both these boxes- was I believe either £18 or £20 when I last checked, so I suggest any one planning to start a beastman army (or already has one they are looking to expand) should buy the last few of the old boxes before the new ones hit the shelves.

Anyone looking for alternative Minotaurs should check out the following offerings by OtherWorld and Heresy

^ Minotaur by Otherworld Miniatures (yea you might want to sculpt a loin cloth on this guy)

^  Manbane, Minotaur Lord by Heresy Miniatures

Do you know of some great alternative Minotaur or other Beastmen miniatures? Post a reply and let the rest of us know!

1 Comment

General Biakal General Biakal

Re: Minotaurs and Beastmen

my very first reaction was that the minotaurs looked "2 kool" but i see your point totally. the stealth price rise is rubbish too. good skillson the review and nice touch at showing us a huge uncircumcised minotaur knob. my life is now complete!
"WAAAAGH! VROOM VROOM!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Dead gud innit yoof?!" - typical Mekboy sales pitch