Fire vs hand-to-hand on order cards

Haste
Hi,
When an order gives us the possiblity to fire twice (such as the "Fire !" card) can we attack hand-to-hand twice ?
When we use the "Close Assault!" card ("Any of your Marines armed with Bolters may fire them AND attack in hand-to-hand combat this turn.") can we attack hand-to-hand twice instead of fire + hand-to-hand ?

Re: Fire vs hand-to-hand on order cards

MortiS-the-Lost
Administrator
I would say no - on both accounts

The cards specifically state 'Fire Twice' and 'Fire and Attack in Hand-to-Hand' respectively so the terms are clearly defined. The same goes for the By Sections Order too.

This does bring up the possibility of making a new Order Card for attacking twice in Close Combat, perhaps it could be called "Melee!" or something similar ... I can't remember if I might have already made one for the Angry Marines
++EDIT++
 it appears I did, it's called "Fight Harder You Fucks!"
++EDIT ENDS++
I can see it being a very useful card for chapters that use a lot of close combat weapons and/or for use with the Terminator rules
-----------------------------------
~The ravings of a single mad Goblin is bad enough, but such a power-hungry, malice-filled creature as Mortis can never hope to be understood~

Re: Fire vs hand-to-hand on order cards

Haste
My friend who plays Blood Angels uses 3 bolters for hand-to-hand only.

The Space Crusade rules page 6 "Marine player's turn" say:
He may move and fire each miniature in a turn.

The Space Crusade rules page 14 "Hand-to-Hand combat" say:
Instead of firing, a miniature may attack using hand-to-hand combat.

Therefore there is no difference between fire and hand-to-hand.

That's why I think the 'Fire Twice' allows to hand-to-hand twice.
But in this case the "Close Assault!" order card would be useless in comparaison to "Fire!".

Re: Fire vs hand-to-hand on order cards

MortiS-the-Lost
Administrator
Haste wrote
The Space Crusade rules page 6 "Marine player's turn" say:
He may move and fire each miniature in a turn.

The Space Crusade rules page 14 "Hand-to-Hand combat" say:
Instead of firing, a miniature may attack using hand-to-hand combat.

Therefore there is no difference between fire and hand-to-hand.
I guess it's all down to interpretation really, but I would argue that the rule book is describing what you can do in a 'normal' turn and the Order Cards override and change what you can do in a normal turn.

Haste wrote
But in this case the "Close Assault!" order card would be useless in comparaison to "Fire!".
Exactly and it specifically mentions Hand-to-hand as being different to shooting

I think it's also worth pointing out that the Order Card is after all called "Fire!" which implies shooting (as opposed to being called something more general like "Attack!") and of course "Close Assault!" has implications of Close Combat in it's name with the word 'close' being used were as 'Assault' can be taken to mean an attack at range or in hand-to-hand - but I think that's enough trying to break-down and read into the meanings of the titles for now.

"By Sections!" is another card were similar issues could crop-up too

Of course this is just how my group does it - it's up to you how you interpret the rules in your games and as long as you're consistent and all your players agree there shouldn't be any problem